Friday, October 24, 2014

school pictures and other happenings


Luke's going through an awkward smile stage.... when he's not genuinely smiling anyways.  But, they match!  We got our vents cleaned today by
the "air duct" professional in town.  His truck was backed up close to the door and the constant running of the big vacuum machine made the whole house smell like exhaust and our CO2 detector go off.  So, Logan and I took off and drove around until he was done.  I guess our dryer vent was really bad, like probably never cleaned.  All ready for the new washer and dryer today.  Luke's bed and nightstand is supposed to be delivered today as well, 2 down and 1 to go!  Emily's headboard still has to come and hopefully I can find a cheaper version of something like this to avoid the dreaded "box spring/bed frame" set up for her.  Emily got asked to join the band at school already.  I guess 5th graders usually take lessons for a while before actually joining the band.  She seems to be a natural and really loves playing it.  She'll be in marching band before you know it!  Last March, Logan had an issue with limping and not using one leg for a few days, no walking, just crawling.  I think we labeled it "transient synovitis" and treated it with ibuprofen for inflammation.  He was fine after 2-3 days.  Now, Wednesday, we went to ECFE and he was fine, came home and all of a sudden his leg hurt and he couldn't walk.  Same darn thing.  I made an appointment for yesterday, but he's gradually getting better, so I cancelled it.  He'll go in for his 4 year check soon and I'll ask about it again, unless it gets worse.  It hurt most when he tries to lift his leg to get dressed, that motion.  Looking back at what I wrote about it before, it seems it was his left side, now it's definitely the right.  And he went from refusing to walk, to gradually walking tiptoe on that side.  Chalk it up to growing pains?  So strange.  He played hooky from school yesterday, and fortunately, swim lessons were cancelled Wednesday night anyways.  After reading this again, it's fairly spot on with his symptoms...  I guess we'll just address again in December!

About Toxic Synovitis

Toxic synovitis, also known as transient synovitis, is the most common cause of hip pain in children. It is caused by a viral infection that sometimes (but not always) settles in the hip joint. The virus causes swelling at the hip joint, which makes walking painful. Usually just one hip is affected. But later on, the virus can pass to the other hip.
Toxic synovitis is more common in boys and affects preschool to early school-aged kids, but younger kids also can develop it.
Sometimes toxic synovitis is confused with septic arthritis, or infectious arthritis, a more serious condition caused by a bacterial infection that invades the joints and can cause long-term joint damage. Your doctor can rule out septic arthritis or other conditions through a physical exam and diagnostic tests.

Symptoms

When kids have toxic synovitis, the pain may come and go or shift from one hip to the other. Here are more signs to look for:
  • recent history of a viral infection, such as a cold or stomach virus
  • low-grade fever (up to 101°F)
  • limping with toes turned outward, the knee bent or straightened
  • walking on tiptoe
  • hip discomfort that occurs after a long period of resting the joint (such as sitting in a car, at a desk, or watching TV)
  • knee or thigh pain with no hip pain
  • in younger children, crying
  • in some cases, a refusal to walk

No comments: