Sunday, May 23, 2010
9 weeks....and Stella update!
Our pretty girl is definitely growing! Stella was officially 9 weeks old yesterday.
It's been going pretty well. I now remember why people say "Having a puppy is harder than a newborn!" The puppy 'craziness' will pass though. Last week I started walking her to school to pick up Emily, a whole 8-9 blocks round trip. She wanted to stop and rest a lot, pretty much at every chance of shade in the boulevards. Then of course, she was greeted by darn near the whole school. I'm certain all 70 or so kids that go to Central know Stella by name. Anyways, she developed diarrhea on Tuesday, So I googled all about 'puppy diarrhea.' Did you know there are 4 kinds of puppy poop? I won't go into details. I'm wondering if it was the stress of starting to walk longer distances and all the attention. I don't think it was a diet thing since she was fine before and we've been doing half and half of her old food with what we plan to feed her since we got her. She had a vet appointment on Thursday afternoon, so I figured I'd bring it up then. Her stool sample tested positive for Hookworms. I guess it's common in puppies, they all have them, but sometimes the initial 'deworming' @ 6 weeks doesn't quite get them all. So, she got some dewormer treatment, Frontline and her heartworm pill all taken care of. We have to do another dewormer treatment in 2 weeks and then retest her stool 2 weeks after that. But, they don't necessarily think that would be the cause of her diarrhea. Could have been the stress, could have been something she ate, who knows. It's gone now. I keep the kids from giving her things, but I'm sure she's picked up stuff. They know to never ever give her grapes, raisins, onions or chocolate. Now they are just forced to eat pretty much everything at the table!
She pretty much has a little schedule down. I really dislike her from 5-8am. That's her naughty time. She makes up for it the rest of the day usually. She naps, pees, plays, drinks and repeat. Throw in a few chow times as well. She sits on command, so that is fun (how I got these pictures actually :). She loves her sweet potato strip treats. Doesn't have the time to sit for those though! Emily and I fight over who gets to hold her after she wakes up. She does about 4 adorable yawns! She's been getting some dog socialization too. Between the neighbors and the regulars who walk by. She loves it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment